Friday 4 April 2008

Footy Fever


Now if you know me well you will know that I love sport, all sports, any sports, give me pay TV and the sports channels and I am set for the week. I am especially a fan of AFL football and the Geelong Football Club, I will tell anyone about the cats and love spending time talking about the game and my club. I have been challenged a lot lately about why I am so passionate about a game but at times quite the opposite about my faith. If someone gives me the opportunity I will talk football with them for hours, I cant remember too many times where I have shared my faith in God with anyone for even half of that time.
It is not that I dont have a great love for God, it is not that I am worried about what to say, it is just I dont do it enough. Speaking to one of my very best friends last night Keith asked the question why so many people can unite in one voice on a Saturday or Sunday for a club and players they dont know, yet remain so unpassionate (I know this is not a real word) when it comes to the things of God. This is why people like Captain Stephen Court and Cadet Aaron Stobie (along with many others) stand out because they are always passionate. The man I heard preach last night was asking us all to 'Stir it Up' for God, when we were at the college recently the cadets were challenged to 'Stoke It Up' they both mean the same: lets get serious about this and start to share Gods word with everyone. I want people to look at me and see someone passionate for God and passionate about winning souls for the Kingdom.
So next time someone wants to talk football with me I might just turn the conversation to a far more important Love of mine ..... GOD !!!

2 comments:

Heart to God, Hand to Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heart to God, Hand to Man said...

Sorry, I deleted it. Don't know how. What I said was Al's other passion is also footy - poison of choice, Carlton. We finally started our own blog. Have a look, We will BOTH update regularly! Love to all, Penny
http://heart2godhand2man.blogspot.com/