Monday 9 June 2008

The Barbarian Way


The Barbarian Way is a book by Erwin Raphael McManus. I have been reading this book the last couple of days and I dont agree with everything in it, but it really does challenge you to look at the way you live and the way you share your faith with others.
To quote from his webpage "In The Barbarian Way, McManus calls you to return to the ancient,primal, and dangerous faith of Jesus and His early disciples. Let go of a sanitized Christianity and get back to the powerful, raw and ancient faith that chooses revolution over compromise, peril over safety, and passion over lukewarm and watered-down religion.

Christ’s passion drove Him to the cross; the cross of Christ drives you to His passion. Take up the challenge of the “barbarian way,” and your life will never be the same."

As I was thinking about this I had a visit from my local friendly JW's, two hours and a lot of discussion later they left annoyed that I could not see the truths they were showing me and myself determined to convert them. It was a very interesting two hours and a time I found very mentally stimulating and thought provoking. These people were so convinced that they were the only true church it blew me away. They had prepared arguments against all the major denominations of Christianity, and were equipped with verses from their Bible to support their views (even if some of these were taken way out of context).
As flawed as their teachings are and as much as I disagree with them,the level of courage,determination and commitment these people show is worth applauding. I dont necessarily agree with door to door selling but they are actively trying to spread the news. What are we doing ?
I pray that our conversation made them spend some time thinking about their beliefs and examining my counter arguments, and that through this God may move in their lives. As for me I pray God will continue to challenge me to shake conformity and seek His Will and His Way for my life.

No comments: