Monday 3 December 2007

What is filling your life ?

I had the absolute pleasure of doing devotions at the end of singing company last night, now for those of you who don't know Warrnambool Salvos we have a singing company meet on a Monday night mostly from the community. Last night we had 33 kids and only 7 of these regularly attend our church. This is an amazing outreach opportunity and to see the friendships and bonds that have been built between these kids is very inspiring. There were two young girls there last night who were struggling with the fact that it was the anniversary of their two year old brother dying, to see the way the rest of the group supported them and just looked after them was quite moving. These kids didn't want to know what was wrong or ask questions about why they were upset they just wanted to support and love their friends. I think there is a lesson there for us as adults to learn. By the way we are having a social night on Sunday to plan and inform the kids about youth group next year and ten of these 33 kids have asked to be picked up for this night. AWESOME ! Thankyou God.
As I said earlier I had the task of doing devotions ( if you can call the opportunity to speak into the lives of 33 kids a task !) and I did something I had seen many years ago. First I filled a container with Table Tennis balls until I could fit no more in, asking the kids if we could put any more in I got a resounding NO. Then I produced some small pebbles and dropped them in the cracks between the balls, again I asked the kids if we could fit anymore in. This time I get a less confident NO. I then produced Sand and poured it into the container and it filled the space between the pebbles and the balls, again I asked the kids if we could fit anymore in. This time most with a great deal of confidence shouted NO. I then produced a jug of water and poured it into the container the water seeped through the sand and filled up the last spots.
I then read from the Scriptures and explained that we can all fill our lives up with so many things, (for me it used to be sport) that we leave no room for God and family. If we had filled the container up with sand to start off with the only other thing we could fit in would have been water. The amazing thing is when we fill our lives with the right things to start off with we still have times for the others. God is now the primary focus of my life, followed very closely by my family. But even though the focus of my life has changed I still have time for my friends and for sport etc etc....
What are you filling your life up with ? Is it in the correct order ? or are you filling it with sand or water ?
I pray that you might sit back and think about your priorities in life and maybe rearrange the order to fit in what is truly important in life.

No comments: