Thursday 13 March 2008

Encouragement

Do you ever get that urge out of the blue to ring someone, or get the feeling you should send someone a card or note ? Do you believe these could be urgings from God for you to do these things ? It is amazing how often over the last five or so years when I have responded to one of these urges that it has had a really positive influence on people around me and also on ME ! Too often we think about these things and say I will do that later and never return to it. This monday sitting at home I just had the sudden urge to call some of our best friends in Melbourne, when I stated what I was about to do Sue said she had just had the same thought. So two minutes later we tried their number only to get message bank, Sue then decided to ring another very special family to us and to our surprise the couple we wanted to make contact with were there. So what you might say... well that friend of ours is pregnant and had just found out she was going to have a caeserean birth the next morning. So Sue and her were able to talk things through, encouragement was given,prayers were said and excitement shared between two very good friends.(by the way Chloe had a little girl Mum and Baby are both doing well).
This is no big deal I know but last year I was praying for someone in my personal quiet time and felt God urging me to send her a card and let her know I had been praying for her.I saw this lady a week or so later and when I did she started to cry and embraced me, (now I know I can have this affect on people but even for me this was a bit strange) she went on to tell me that she was going through a really hard time in life with a number of problems and she had been wondering whether anyone cared about her or loved her. She was feeling very down when she received the mail and my card and it gave her the spark she needed to continue. Things didnt magically get better immeadieately but they did in time, and through God she received the encouragement support and love she so desperately neede that day.
I look back with regret because of how many times I havent sent that card or made that phone call, what about you ? Maybe there is someone who needs your encouragemnt or support today, maybe you need that call or card. I dont know but if God is urging you to make contact with someone dont put it off till tomorrow, follow Gods calling today.
I have certainly found it is worth the effort !

2 comments:

Cadet Stobes!! said...

Darren, What a real honour and joy it will be serving alongside you in the Western Victoria Division. May we work to grow the Kingdom and to see thousands...even millions of people saved! LORD LET IT BE SO! Hallelujah!!!!!!

Sarah Eldridge said...

Darren, how true you are! There have been many an occasion in my deepest darkest hour, when I've been crying out for God to send me someone to talk to, that a phone call or a text message has come from someone obviously responding to the promptings of God. I hope I too have been able to provide that for people. What a gift it is to be able to answer that call! :)

Keep up the great work Darren - and I'll see you next week! :) YAY!

Love to you and Sue & the kids! xx