Thursday 10 January 2008

Living Waters


I have had the privilege of leading a time of study with the leaders from the Ignite group over the last couple of days. Now for those of you saying WHO ?? Ignite is a holiday program for high school kids run by Scripture Union which takes place for a week here in Warrnambool. It has been great to share with these guys and to get a feel for their passion and desire to share the message of God with the kids they encounter.

Yesterday after the study and a time of sharing we all separated for some personal quiet time. Now I am not always a visual type of guy but as I was leaning against a wall of the old Presbyterian Church looking out over the city of Warrnambool I was struck by something that I saw. I was looking at the beautiful blue water of the ocean just in front of me ( it looked like I could reach out and touch it) when I looked down and the ground I was standing on was barren,dry and had large cracks running through it. The water was so close yet was unable to reach the land that so desperately needs it.I started to think about the city in front of me and the people in the community who were searching for the real meaning of life, searching for a purpose, searching for friends, searching for a reason to live and I know that reason. I have a relationship with that God, I can show them a hope and a future, I can bring them the water they need. I began to pray that God would help me to be the water that quenches this dry community, that through me and our church that God would restore the grass to this dry land, that it may be prepared for a future harvest.
Please Lord let me bring water to the thirsty, friendship to the lonely, hope to the downcast, and You to this community.

No comments: